今天我们要讲的美国习惯用语是：back to the drawing board。A drawing board是制图板。Back to the drawing board的字面意思是回到制图板去，实际上它的意思是从头开始。
原文：Coke Trying : A New Caffeine Combination
我们都知道，盖房子或制造机器的第一步就是要制图。所以，back to the drawing board常常用来表示从头开始。比如说一个公司为了要提高利润，叫雇员们提出各种建议。但是老板认为这些都行不通，要大家从头来。The boss sent them back to the drawing board。
1. Coke watchers say they are not sure yet whether it will be another flavor failure from the beverage giant, which famously tinkered with the long-established formula in 1985 and has had mixed success with other brand extensions.
2. "Potentially, it makes a lot of sense. Coffee is this extraordinary popular drink at the moment. The future of coffee is going to be in cold coffee beverages. But it's always a crap shoot with these things," said Mark Pendergrast, author of the Coke company history: For God, Country, and Coca-Cola as well as Uncommon Grounds: The History of Coffee and How it Transformed Our World.
例句-1：In 1985, the Coca-Cola Company introduced New Coke after giving their most popular product a new taste. But drinkers across the country felt betrayed and rejected it. So the company went back to the drawing board. Their next idea, however, was a success - the return of their original formula, called Coca-Cola Classic。
3. Blak, which hit US. store shelves last month priced between $1.5 and $2, packs twice the caffeine and half the calories of regular Coke. The drink is part of a flurry of recently launched products by the traditionally slow-moving and conservative Coca-Cola Company.
4. There is a new chocolate coffee drink in partnership with Godiva, Coke Zero(reformulated Diet Coke), Coke C2(a middle-ground between diet and regular Coke), Diet Coke with Splenda, and several varieties flavored with lemon and lime, appealing largely to Hispanics. Vanilla Coke was recently pulled from shelves after four years on the market.
新可乐就这样很快消失了。这可以说是商业史上的一次重大失败。幸亏可乐公司及时放弃、从头再来，back to the drawing board，否则损失会更大。
5. "In the last year, Coke has performed well in innovation," said John Sicher, editor and publisher of Beverage Digest, an industry news and data service.
6. The Atlanta-based behemoth, with a 43.10 percent share of the carbonated soft drink market, has adapted to changing tastes. For example, in the last year overall shipments of carbonated soft drink were cut down to 10.2 billion cases, but energy drinks boosted its sale of 79.1 percent to 113 million, according to Beverage Digest. Coke responded with Vault, now in stores nationwide.
有时候，失败是成功之母，back to the drawing board，反而会带来更大的成功。有个美式足球运动员说，他们球队就是在失败后再从头开始，反败为胜的。
例句-2：The beginning of the season was a disaster as our opponents kept outmaneuvering us. It was back to the drawing board! After coming up with some brilliant new plays, we started scoring touchdowns again. Soon we were on a winning streak。